Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Back to the boring

I haven't discussed the boring, monotonous goings-on in my life lately, and I'm gonna remedy that.  Today was a dumb day.  Was gray/black/disgusting/rainy/thundery most all day long.  I was tired and yawned all day.  Most everyone at work seemed to feel the same.  It cleared up a bit later in the day, but the sun never really made an appearance.  After work, I decided to stop at Kohl's, where I was frustrated at the outrageous prices of their sheet sets.  I had planned to look at shoes as well, but decided I was too aggravated to do so, and would likely be disappointed in the selection anyway.  Came home to find a giant green thing hanging from the ceiling vent in my living room.  Looked like a leaf, but found that it was a cleverly-disguised butterfly/moth.  Did I mention it was huge?  It had fake eyes on its wings and didn't want to loosen its grip from my vent.  I had to smack it down with a magazine, and when it fell to the ground and fluttered about, I shrieked and shuddered.  It remained on the floor - stunned, I imagine - so I had to scoot the thing out my back door and onto the balcony.  Then I decided to enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony, and while I was arranging my laptop, headphones, chair and whatnot, I knocked the glass off my little side table, spilling its entire contents onto the deck.  It's really humid, and my hair is big and giant and messy and poofy and curly and ugly.  My skin is itching like crazy.  And every song I listen to, minus a few, is annoying me.  To top it all off, I hate being in a mood and I'm mad at myself for being so crappy. 

So, at Kohl's some old lady told me her life story and about how, 19 years ago, she bought fabric on sale at Patches (or some other cutely-named fabric store) for $1/yard.  Did you know she walked out of there with 70 yards?  She, with the help of her husband - who is now dead, and she's all alone now - made a complete bedroom set out of it, including bedding and drapes.  Now, you can't find fabric for $1/yard, and by the time you end up spending all the money and time purchasing the fabric and sewing the pieces, you might as well just buy a set at Kohl's.  She works at Kohl's, so she gets a nice discount.  But she was overwhelmed..."It's just a mess.  I don't know what to do"...at all the choices.  She was thinking she should go with a quilt, because most of the comforters are too wild with all their patterns and colors these days.  She ended our conversation by apologizing to me for taking my time, and I assured her that it was no trouble at all, that I enjoyed talking with her, and I wished her luck with her decision.  She smiled, told me to have a GREAT night, and then mentioned that I should learn to sew.

All that off my chest and out of my heart, I'm going to go inside, pour a replacement glass of wine, bring it outside, and plan to spill it only into my mouth and not all over the balcony.  Maybe after that, my dumb mood will fade...

1 comment:

Cookbook said...

That lady must have been Mrs. Turnip's cousin Louise!